Welcome! We are Sika Class and we are Y5 and Y6 pupils
Sika class is taught by Mrs Pinnegar
Welcome to Summer Term 2022
Welcome back to school for our summer term 2022. It is going to a busy one! As well as our class based learning activities, we will be attending a variety of different events (please see below) and we shall also be starting to rehearse our KS2 performance of Alice in Wonderland. Please refer to the curriculum overview for further information about the subjects we will be learning about during this exciting summer term.
Homework will continue to be set weekly. It will be sent home every Friday and to be handed in the following Thursday. Further information about homework can be found inside the Reading Diary and Homework Exercise Book. Please keep checking Gmail for information.
Reading – children should read at least 20 minutes per day with an adult. Please record progress within the reading log each day to enable your child to earn their Reading Awards. Inside the Reading Diary are a list of books we recommend the children should read to increase their reading and writing quality. You will also find a list of questions to ask your child after each reading session.
Maths – children will be given a variety of online activities, games, practical activities, and worksheets to reinforce their learning. A particularly helpful and fun website is https://www.mathsisfun.com/ and https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/subjects/z826n39 . All maths homework should be completed using a standard writing pencil and ruler.
Writing – children are expected to complete their homework writing activities independently after a discussion about what they need to achieve. However please encourage children to spell the High Frequency Words correctly (found on the inside of the Homework Book). We do like the children to challenge themselves to use higher level vocabulary learned within class and through reading. Work should be completed using handwriting pen or pencil.
Spellings – children will receive a spelling list each Monday and will be able to learn them each morning as part of their Early Morning Tasks. They will be tested each Friday. We use a ‘Look, Say, Cover, Write, Check’ system.
Topic – occasionally topic homework will be sent home which will ask the children to use a variety knowledge and skills. As a result, the children will be given extra time to complete this sort of homework task.
Pupils will need to bring PE kit to school on Fridays. Pupils need to have red shorts or tracksuit bottoms, a plain white T-shirt and trainers. As the weather becomes warmer, the children may also need sun cream. If possible, please can the children also have a change of socks for P.E, especially during hot weather! As always please ensure all clothing including socks are labelled. You would be surprised where clothes can end up, no matter how careful we all seem to be! If children do not have P.E kit, they will be provided with spare kit where possible or given learning to complete in another class.
Children are allowed to bring bottles to school (please also ensure they are labelled). During the day the children should only have water. Any fresh juices should only be consumed with lunch time food.
Please see below the list of events we are planning for this summer term. We are still waiting for conformation of Y6 transition days to their secondary schools and cluster sports events as well. Further information will be sent out in due course. Please also note that some of the dates have been amended:
- Thursday 28th April – Y6 photos for Newbury Newspaper
- Monday 9th to Thursday 12th May – SATS
- Wednesday 18th to Friday 20th May – Residential to Oxenwood (Spending money £5)
- Monday 13th June – Cricket tournaments (team of 8 pupils to be confirmed)
- Thursday 16th June – QUADS tournament (team of 10 to be confirmed)
- Monday 20th to Friday 24th June – Sports Week
- Tuesday 21st June – Harry Potter Trip (Spending money £10)
- Thursday 30th and Friday 1st June – St Johns Transition Days for Y6
- Monday 4th July – Junior Good Citizen Trip for Y6
- Monday 4th July – Trinity School Transition Day for Y6
- Wednesday 6th July – Salisbury Cathedral Y6 Leavers Service for local schools
- Wednesday 6th July – Trinity Transition Day for Y6
- Monday 11th July to Friday 15th July – Themed Week
- Friday 15th July – Y6 Leavers Disco (Spending money £5)
- Monday 18th July – KS2 Dress Rehearsal for Alice in Wonderland production for KS1
- Tuesday 19th July – KS2 Alice in Wonderland production for parents 2pm
- Tuesday 19th July – Y6 versus Parents Rounders match and picnic after school.
- Wednesday 20th July – KS2 Alice in Wonderland production for parents 6pm
- Thursday 21st July – Leavers Service in St Marys Church, Chilton Foliat
If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us. Thank you in advance for your support
Mrs Pinnegar and Mrs Armstrong