Date: Thursday 3rd Mar
Time: 12:00 am
We are delighted to announce that the school will be taking an active part in this year’s World Book Day. In fact, it is World Book Day’s 25th Anniversary and throughout our first week back at school, we will be celebrating and enjoying our love of reading. This year’s theme and message for all children is “You are a reader.” We cannot agree more! With support from all our families, it is our absolute ambition for every child in our school to be given the teaching, the time, the tools, and the resources to become fluent readers and emotionally engage in the love of
Al our children will be able to:
• be read to regularly at home and at school
• access high quality books at home and at school
• have choice in what they want to read for pleasure as well as reading to support phonics understanding
• have trusted adults and peers sharing and recommending books
• enjoy the reading experience, and
• have designated time to read.
To celebrate World Book Day itself, we have chosen the theme of Poetry and Rhyme.
• The children are invited to come to school in their World Book Day costume representing a book character, author, or book theme. They are asked to bring a £1.00 contribution which will be used for the purchase of new books for the school.
• The day will start with Collective Worship where members of staff will read their favourite poem or rhyme. During the day, each class will plan, write, and rehearse their own poem or rhyme.
• A photographer from the Newbury Weekly News is coming and photos will be taken. We will be checking our photographic permissions list.
• Over the following weeks during Celebration Assembly (It’s coming back) classes will be invited to perform their poem in front of an audience.
Please take a look at this World Book Day web link which offers an amazing array of ideas and resources, webinars, and recommended reads. It also has an extremely useful section on ideas for costumes – all linked to a book of course! worldbookday.com